Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Geek Nostalgia

nos·tal·gia


[no-stal-juh, -jee-uh, nuh-]  noun



1. a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.
2. something that elicits or displays nostalgia.


art by Chris Piascik

Yeah, that kind of sums up what being a geek is all about. We find things that we love; movies, TV-shows, books from our pasts, and we reminisce about why we love it. We have all sorts of mediums in which we can do this; reading or writing blogs about it, writing fanficton, cosplaying, going to conventions, or in this case, fanart.
  Patrick Ballesteros brings us nostalgia in two different ways in his art collection entitled Nostalgia
Not only does he make us feel nostalgic with pop culture references, but also with the innocence and imagination of childhood.

Batman's Rouges Gallery


Ah, brain freeze... I don't feel quiet nostalgic for that.


Super Ladies


You go Batgirl! Kick her ass!
I love Storm's Wolverine doll. I kinda want to make one for myself


Doctor Who


Tiny weeping angels are perhaps more terrifying than full grown ones. I'm more nostalgic for the 10th Doctor, but 11 had some good moments too. I'm sure in years to come, I'll remember him fondly, too.


 Harry Potter


Harry Potter nostalgia is already pretty prevalent, but taking them back to a much younger age gives it new meaning.


The Walking Dead


Did you ever play zombies as a kid?  Cops and robbers? That's what this picture reminds me of.
I love that the parents have the morning "zombie" blahs. I know what that's like now.
I also love that Carl has a target on his back. Very fitting.


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles


Oh no! Adorable Shredder has beaten them to Miss O'Neill!


Firefly



Shopping cart or abandoned car, I'd take the Serenity anywhere with these little misbehaving ragamuffins


The Princess Bride


I love the grampa snowman off to the side! Super cute!


Masters Of The Universe


Mrs. Teela Na looks exasperated with these little hooligans. Who can blame her? That little Skeletor looks like trouble. But look how cute Battle Kitten is!


Star Wars


What's not to love about this picture; cute little Leia playing with a tiny Chewy, Lando and Boba Fett hanging out, hocky troopers, the signs in the background all fitting together or maybe even Irvin Kershner off to the side... Love it!!


Lord Of The Rings



It's true, Gandalf would make a really good crossing guard. Although, he is letting that balrog pass...


Bruce Lee


That's one kid you don't want to pick a fight with or it's off to the principal's office for everyone


X-Men

When you're a kid, old people are weird. It doesn't matter what they're doing. This probably would've been more entertaining than watching them play cards or knit.
I love Kitty's sign that says "I (heart) Gramma Jean". 


Planning of Indiana Jones




Sidewalk chalk was always fun. Heck, it's still fun! I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Spielberg and Lucas use to draw all kinds of crazy pictures on the sidewalk. I like the cute little nods to them; Lucas with the whip and Droids and Spielberg with his shark, UFO and dinosaur.

So how was that trip down memory lane? Feeling better? Feeling sad? It's ok, that's what nostalgia is all about.




So, what pop culture icons tweak your nostalgia? Let me know so that I can look back at this post fondly ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment